Thursday, February 17, 2005

update

One thing I neglected to mention about my RE appointment last week - I asked her about the pulsatile GnRH, and she basically said that it is old technology; no better than the injections and a lot more difficult to implement. I do have an appointment with one of the endocrinologists at the MGH unit that has published studies on the pulsatile GnRH so I'll see what she says. I don't know if it's one of those things where this doc doesn't use it so isn't willing to consider it, or if it really is old hat now. From that one study it really did sound better though (96% cumulative pregnancy rate after 6 months vs. 82%). I like those odds!

M has his urologist appt on 3/30, a week after we get back from our trip. So hopefully I'll be able to start on the injections for the IUI not too long after that.

I've been sad recently - I so wanted to be pregnant *with* my younger sister. She and I went off the pill at the same time, with plans of sharing our pregnancy. She got tired of waiting for me in January, and started "trying". Pregnant the first time around!!! That turned out to be a chemical pregnancy... but this month, her second try, she's pregnant for real. I'm really excited for her, but a little sad at the same time. I was totally anticipating us bonding over this, and now it's going to be me, on the sidelines... I know this sounds awful, but I'm really glad that it didn't happen last month. Gave me a month to get used to the idea, at least.

So far it's been pretty okay, although I was there last night when she told my mom, that was hard. Especially when Mom's husband says to me "Well, I guess she beat you...". I just don't even know what to say! I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to be hurtful, but that doesn't make it NOT hurt. I guess I'm going to have to get used to crap like that.

(My father passed away ten years ago, when I was 21, and Mom remarried in 2000. So I call him my mother's husband rather than my stepfather, because he really has not been at all like a father to me. I like him just fine - usually. But I cannot call him my stepfather.)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You are not alone - I know exactly how you feel about your sister being pregnant. You do get used to it, but it isn't easy. And the comments suck, but unfortunately they can't be stopped. People just can't seem to fathom how painful it really is to be in our shoes, and although they don't mean to be hurtful, it is. 96% sounds pretty awesome! Hopefully this will be a good year for both of us!