Monday, July 25, 2005

Australia, here we come?

I'm in a tizzy! M just got offered a position within his company that would involve a move to Australia for 2-3 years. It's a definite step up for him, the "international management" experience that will look great on his resume and definitely open up some doors later on. My job is 90% computer based, so I could totally work from there, and in fact my company does have a small sales office in Sydney so I'd even have a place to call 'work'.

We visited Australia for two weeks in '03, Sydney for a week and then Perth to visit some relatives I have there. Absolutely loved it, and we've always said since then that if we were to move anywhere, Oz would be it.

And then this comes along. Holy shit! I'd miss my new nephiece's (sex still unknown) first few years, but that's about the only reason I can think of not to go. I wouldn't want to move there forever because I'd miss my family too much, but 2-3 years I could definitely handle. I've been feeling really blah about our life here recently, this would definitely add some adventure!

I know some of you have moved to a different country, either for a limited amount of time or for good. Would you recommend it? If you could go back and make the decision again, would you still choose to move? What are some of the pitfalls we should think about before jumping in to this head first?

8 comments:

OvaGirl said...

What the?! Australia?! Does this mean you are moving to Sydney?
(No real experience of living in another country - Paris for 6 months doesn't count - but LOADS of Living In Sydney experience!)

Anonymous said...

Have never lived in Oz, but did move transatlanticall twice - to and from US/UK so have plenty of thoughts on that. Let me know if you want to chat. Synthesis is, I moved to a place where I knew no one and it took me a year to really make friends. I imagine that you'll have an easier time since you're married. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again!

Anonymous said...

sounds really interesting and exciting!

Eggs Akimbo said...

Australia is a great country. I am from Melbourne and it is fabulous. I have visited Sydney quite a few times and that is amazing as well. I would recommend it. Healthy lifestyle and all. We will be moving back there from London within the next year.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That would be an amazing experience!! Do you think you'll do it?

MsPrufrock said...

I would say that it is a great opportunity for you. I cannot tell you how much I have grown by being "forced" to adjust to a different culture. I would certainly recommend it for everyone, because I think it's such a valuable experience.

I know there are a lot of people that can't cope with being an expat, but I think even then you can look back on that time later in life and be proud that you took that step.

If you do make the move, there are plenty of expat communities online that I'm sure you would find helpful.

Feel free to email me if you want to discuss it further. I know US to UK is vastly different than US to Australia, but I'm sure there is a lot of common ground.

Anonymous said...

If you're wanting to look at where you would live try http://www.realestate.com.au. It's the best real estate site for Australia and should give you an idea of what you'd be looking at. Just remember to convert from AUD.

If you need info about Melbourne I can tell you about the different areas and help you find the area that would suit you, but I have very little experience with Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth.