Monday, July 11, 2005

IUI #2

Second verse, same as the first. Well, not exactly. My appointment was at 10am on Sat - last time the IUI was done at 10:35, this time we sat in the waiting room for almost an hour longer. It was a bit frustrating, but at least we had both brought something to occupy ourselves (I've finished H,K and O on my cross-stitch, and am working on N!). It turned out that Dr. Handsome wanted to do the IUI himself rather than having the nurse do it, and he was also doing an egg retrieval that morning - hence the delay.

The IUI itself was lots of fun. And I do mean that literally. Dr. Handsome and M had a nice comedy routine going. After he'd tried to get the catheter in for a little bit, Dr. Handsome said he didn't like the angle of my cervix, and that I could fix it by coughing. So M joked "It's about time a woman had to 'turn and cough'!". Dr. H then proceeded to tell us about the first time he had that experience as a sixteen year old with a gorgeous female doctor. Meanwhile I'm having fits of giggles, with the specul*m sticking out of me! I was afraid that it was going to fall out or something, but even with it wiggling around down there with every chortle, it seemed to stay in just fine. After I coughed on '3', apparently the angle was perfect, and in the little boys and girls went.

I did feel more comfortable this time than the last, Dr. Handsome really did take his time to make sure that the swimmers were in the right place. After some supplementary storming, we're crossing our fingers. And I start the progesterone suppositories tonight... after my 10 day luteal phase last time and reading that in women with HA "the luteal phase and early pregnancy need to be supported" I managed to convince Dr. Conveyor that I should be taking progesterone.

No beta until SIXTEEN days after the IUI though, so it'll be a bit of a wait.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laughing during an IUI? That would definitely be a good story to tell your children some day . . .

Hope it works out.

EAB said...

I'm with AltMama -- I think ordinary pelvics are worse than turn-and-cough anyway, let alone the infertility stuff. Mr. G was complaining about how SAs were so invasive and all, so I carefully explained HSGs to him, and he quieted right down!

Progesterone suppositories also sound not-fun, although I'm sure the PIO is much less pleasant. Why can't they come up with some non-messy, non-invasive, non-evil progesterone? And sixteen days till beta is just flat mean, if you ask me! You going to do the POAS thing, or resist and wait for the beta?

Eggs Akimbo said...

I'm learning a lot about IUIs. That might be our next step. Good luck.

S said...

Good luck Nico!

Lisa said...

Good luck Nico! I wish you the best! I also have a weird curve to my cervix, so I know what you went through!

Anonymous said...

Well, better that it was fun, right? Would have made a better story had the speculum shot out and went flying across the room, but I guess your version will do. :)

Good luck chica!!