Friday, June 02, 2006

OK, not great.

We're hanging in here. I'm still contracting like it's going out of style (this is one uterus that damn well better be able to handle labor, with all the practice it's getting!) Still no change to my cervix. Which is good. I'll be 27 weeks tomorrow, which makes me feel a lot better than when the contractions started right around 25 weeks. I can't believe I've been having them for two weeks already.

I had my regularly scheduled 26wk appointment on Tuesday, where I got to do the GD test for real this time (at around 14wks they gave me the drink by mistake, but didn't bother to draw my blood), as well as a Rhogam shot. I'm A- and M is O+, so there is a definite possibility that Phred and I will be Rh incompatible. My first butt-shot. It wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined, really just a little pinch.

Also discussed the continuation of the contractions with my doc. I asked about doing a bit of walking or light weight lifting - staying perfectly still doesn't seem to stop the contractions, so I figured doing a bit of exercise couldn't hurt. She recommended against it (although she said I'm a grown up, and can obviously make my own choices). She also even more strongly recommended against travelling - which I'm bummed about because I had three trips planned for work in June, two of which I was really looking forward to. Ah well.

She was totally right on the exercise though. I did take a walk the next day, from my office to the bank so I could make some deposits. Less than a mile round trip. It was really amazing - I do have the contractions sitting still, but boy does walking exacerbate them. So unless my uterus magically decides to become un-irritable, I'm stuck being a lump.

But, much better to be a lump with Phred still cooking than to do something stupid and cause these contractions to actually turn into labor.

14 comments:

D said...

I can totally relate to the stress of contractions. I have been having them since 17 weeks with a increase in the past week. My cervix is good ,the ultrasound was good,I was hooked to the monitor and of course didn't have any while I was at the Dr. They really increase in the evening- about 5 an hour.I definitely notice a difference in frequency when I am active (more). Hope yours decrease, hang in there

soralis said...

I hope those contractions slow down for you... until you are ready. Glad to hear your cervix is cooperating.

Take care and all the best

DD said...

"Lumping" can be alright for a while, so take it easy for now. Maybe Phred just can't get comfy with all that moving around stuff.

S said...

Nico, sorry to her that you're still contracting. Hopefully it will calm down for you. Good to hear that you and Phred are doing fine otherwise.

**The cradle/swing I wrote about before goes side to side (like in the pic) and you can also turn it so that it goes front to back. It's awesome and I highly recommend it for Phred. :)

Take Care.

Kellie said...

Sorry to hear that your still contracting but glad they are not progressing. Can't believe your 27 weeks already!! Your doing an amazing job.

Paige said...

Hey Nico hang in there-----you are doing great letting that babe cook in there! Keep it up.

lucky #2 said...

27 weeks -- wow!!! Sorry those contractions are continuing. I find my kick in with walking also! Hang in there and don't feel too terrible about being a lump! It is the only time in your life you HAVE to be!

Anonymous said...

Very scary - glad you're hanging in there!

Nicole said...

Good luck, sounds like Phred is still holding on so that is great. Feel better and try to relax. (see we can still say that!)

Rebecca said...

I'm sorry the contractions are still continuing, but that is good news on your cervix. I hope it stays that way for the next three months.

I'm glad the Rhogam shot wasn't bad. Ironically, R and I have the same blood types as you and your DH, so we have the same issue.

charlie's mom said...

Sometimes being a lump is a good thing. Hang in there!

Suzanne said...

I hope you make it many more weeks as a lump and little Phred isn't too impatient!

OvaGirl said...

Ooh...This sounds scary. I'm glad that Phred seems fine and doesn't seem likely to be going any where soon. I think Lumping is a good plan, I know it must be hard for you, you're such an active person. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

How are you going Nico?