Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Resolved

I don't usually do New Year's resolutions, because I don't see the reason to wait to make changes. But I've been thinking about these things, so what the heck, now is as good a time to start as any.

I also think that Suz's idea of having metricable resolutions is an excellent one. So, keeping that in mind, my resolutions are:

1. Lift weights at least three times a week.

Up until Ant's birth, I had been lifting weights at least 2x/week for almost four years. Except for the 9 weeks during my pregnancy when I wasn't allowed to exercise. Since his birth, number of times I've done it? One - today! I feel so weak and out of shape, even though the baby weight is gone. So I will start doing some light lifting in the basement (getting to the gym is really out of the question) during his morning nap.

2. Change out of my pajamas every day.

Don't laugh, there have been a number of days recently where I have not bothered to get dressed. Which is all well and good, I'm not seeing anyone or anything like that. But it makes me feel slovenly and yucky (forgetting to brush my teeth and put on deodorant probably has something to do with that!). And it's not even as if I don't have time to change, I've just been lazy. So that ends today as well.

3. Do my diastasis (abdominal separation) reduction exercises at least 2x/day until I feel like it's totally fixed.

That's all I've got for now.

My first foray to the basement for weight lifting this morning was amusing. I pulled out a couple of old "Shape" magazines I used to use for a quick exercise routine, figuring those would be a good place to start. First, a quick aerobic warmup - the magazine had a five minute routine, which I remember used to get my heartrate up pretty quickly. Starts with some marching, then jogging in place, jumping jacks, squats, punches, kicks... Got to the jogging, and very quickly realized that it wasn't going to work! When I was doing this before I had little "A" sized bubbies. Bouncing up and down, no problem. Now? Not so much. I didn't feel like stopping to go upstairs to get some more support (I was just wearing my cotton nursing bra), so instead I used my hands. Effective, although unwieldy. But next time I will plan ahead a bit more. I always wanted bigger boobs, but now I'm actually kinda looking forward to going back to the little ones that didn't get in the way!

5 comments:

Kellie said...

When I first started working from home I just sat around all day in my jammies. For the frist few days it's wonderful and then it gets to be a drag. You have no desire to do anything. Funny how something so simple can make such a difference.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

OMG you paint a VERY funny picture of you exercising with the Hand Bra...

:-)

S said...

When I was on maternity leave I made a point to change out of PJ's. You're right, there is just something about it that affects your mood.

Anonymous said...

I like your second resolution. I should add that to my list. Oh yeah, and exercising, too. I should try that ;o)

lucky #2 said...

I am currently in my PJ pants as I type this. I started changing, but DD was having such a fit I stopped! Yeah, maybe I should add that to my resolutions -- change into clothes, do my hair and put on make up!

Good job on starting exercise again!